Sunday, February 12, 2012

Couple of updates...

First off, let me again sing praises to the customer service that Astronomics provides. I was sold the wrong dovetail mounting plate by accident on thursday. Due to circumstances beyond my control I was barely able to make it back on friday before closing time (2 minutes before). They were very kind and stayed late to located the proper dovetail plate for my mount. Super group of people.

With the above mentioned dovetail mount, I anxiously look forward to receiving my H-alpha scope tomorrow. I checked UPS and it is sitting in OKC. I hope it gets delivered tomorrow as we are slated for a winter storm this evening tonight. I can't wait to bolt up the scope to the dovetail bracket and mount it on the nexstar 8 mount. I understandably want to do some imaging with it, but for the first couple of days I plan on visual observing only to get a feel for the scope and it's capabilities. BTW, here is the exact scope in the exact configuration that I ordered...


On another note, I joined the OKC Astronomy Club this last friday. Not sure what to think about it yet, there were some very nice folks there, but it was an ecclectic bunch. There seemed to be an emphasis on beginners at the meeting the other night. I have no problem with that, and I am pretty danged far from knowing what I am doing, but I am just hoping to sortof fall in with the more seasoned bunch so I can start learning from their experience. I also can't wait until their next observing session, to see what the Cheddar Ranch Observatory is all about and to see what dark skies hold for my scope. Another thing I am looking forward to is getting the opportunity to visually look through some large dobsonian scopes to see how big of an aperture I would have to go with to visually hang with the performance of my 8SCT/Mallincam setup. I would be more of a visual observer if I could match that level of performance. I fear though, the gap may be too wide. Another thing I am hoping to do is attend outreach sessions with my Lunt 60 and participate there as well.

If my lunt comes in tomorrow, you can bet that you will see an unboxing video in the next several days. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment