Saturday, May 12, 2012

Dammit Celestron!

Now that I have enough money for a CG-5 advanced goto equatorial mount, it appears they are discontinued. Huge backorder at some retailers, complete removal from the product line at others. Nothing to replace it apparently but whispery rumors of a new and improved (and likely more expensive) version.

This sucks, and it leaves me in the same predicament as when I wanted a neximage cam. 

So I have decided to take the plung and plop down 630 dollars for the DMK41 camera by Imaging Source. It is a monochrome camera, so I will get full resolution during solar imaging. I will still need to purchase a LRGB filter set and wheel for doing color planetary work. More of a pain in the butt, but the images look much better in RGB imaging.

Looking forward to upping my game with planetary/lunar/solar imaging. Will buy equatorial mount and autoguiding setup come tax time next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment