Sunday, August 12, 2012

DBK-21 first light

Last night I was hoping to try out the new DBK-21 cam on Jupiter and maybe catch some Perseid meteor shower action as well. I setup right before dark, and perhaps a little too hastily. GOTO performance was not very good, worked well at first but had some issues later in the evening. Some were good, others well not so much. I attribute that to targets being on the meridian. not too familiar with how this affects EQ observing, but it seemed to have an effect last night. At any rate, I setup and in my boredom, decided to try to image Uranus. I knew not to expect any detail, so believe it or not I am actually happy with the following image of the little blue dot. Imaged at 0542ut, this is a process of 50 frames, stacked, aligned, and RGB alignment in registax v6. C8 on Sirius EQ-G. No barlow. DBK-21 camera from Imaging Source.
Uranus, 0542ut C8/DBK21

I continued to play around with different targets, suffering some way off GOTO performance. Still not sure what all that was about, but I did not pay proper diligence to my normal setup. Was pretty rushed with it.

I was pretty stoked to see Jupiter rise above my eastern obstructions around 0245 local. I had started to dial in the settings on the camera when a cloud bank rolled in. I didn't even get to capture one .avi sequence. One thing was pretty apparent is that the uv/ir cut filter required for this camera is extremely critical on Jupiter. Color was obviously skewed, but there was a hazy halo around the entire planet that was very distracting. I am assuming that was IR light washing out the edges. I will have to order a good uv/ir blocking filter. I will try again next week though. Somewhat pissed that I had waited so long for Jupiter and the height of the Perseid meteor shower only to be clouded out, I decided to pack it in. To add insult to injury, it started raining so I had to do a very fast breakdown. No harm done, but hopefully next week I will have better results to post up.


1 comment:

  1. Hello Andrew,Let me introduce myself firstly. My name is Linjing from Tucsen China. I am glad to see that you have used Tucsen camera. We developped some new products, and would like to find some professionals to test them. Would you like to try the camera?

    My email is linjing@tucsen.com. I tried to mail you but don't find your mail information in your blog.

    Hope to hear from you

    ReplyDelete