Saturday, September 1, 2012

First Jupiter of season

Got the Baader UV/IR cut filter in the other day, but work and weather kept me from getting a decent shot at some imaging. Broke that streak last night, and here is the best of the lot. I decided to simply use my OTA on it's original NexStar mount and found out quickly just how much worse an altaz mount is at accurate tracking with high magnifications. Always had to chase it around last night, I guess I got spoiled with the EQ mounts. I should have used my Sirius mount last night, but I wanted quick setup and tear down. At any rate, .avi  sequences averaged around 600+ frames at the 90 second mark. Stack, alignment, RGB alignment, and wavelet processing all done in Registax V6. Scope is C8, camera is original DBK-21.


Focus seemed a little soft. I am working on a DIY Bahtinov mask for fine focus. Couple things were evident as critical for my shopping list last night, though. A 3x barlow and motorized focuser are a must. Flip mirror and illuminated crosshair eyepiece parfocal on the mirror would be REALLY nice as well. Time to start pinching pennies.

No comments:

Post a Comment