Sunday, September 16, 2012

Scope Upgrades

Sold the CG-5asgt and my other 8" deforked SCT. Used the proceeds to prep my scope for the Orion Awesome Autoguider Package (which will be here next Tuesday). I upgraded the finder to the ubiquitous Telrad, and added the signature orange Celestron losmandy D dovetail rail. I also purchased 2 astrotech losmandy-d rail adapters that I am going to mount the guidescope rings on. There were several reasons why I decided to use this configuration. The vixen style rail that comes with the Orion package is too long for my OTA, so either I cut it and paint the end or leave it on and let it overhang. Either way would look ugly. Also, as the kit comes, it will not be able to be mounted to the OTA. I would have had to buy radius blocks from ADM to give the bar the clearance necessary to mount the rings. Again, expensive and would look hideous. The combination of the celestron bar and astrotech adaptors was around 90 dollars, not much more than just a pair of radius blocks from ADM. I am very happy with this setup and wish the SSAG package was here to install.

Only bad thing? The extra weight has thrown my scope far out of balance. I cannot use my scope again until I order another 11' counterweight. Bummer. Will have to be next paycheck.


No comments:

Post a Comment