Sunday, June 24, 2012

Amazing night part 1: Deep sky

Last night was one of those rare nights when everything worked perfectly together to create a very memorable night. Weather was nice, mediocre seeing limited magnification, but no wind, nice temps, and no dew! My goal for the night was to bag supernova SN2012cg in NGC 4424 in the constellation Virgo. I had tried earlier in the week when I read Rod Mollise's facebook post and saw his picture. He has a Mallincam Xtreme and bagged it with his C8 and a 14 second exposure. I thought since I had a c8 and my Mallincam has a 14 second limit, I should be able to get it. Wind, time, and bad alignment made sure that it didn't happen earlier in the week. I vowed to try again on saturday evening, and did so. Got lucky this time. With the success of imaging the supernova, I decided to try my hand at some other deep sky targets that I had never tried. Here are the results...


Swan Nebula:


m64:


m51:


m13:


Albiero:






1 comment:

  1. Nice job on getting the SN. Really like the other pics too, sounds like you have a great session for the night.

    ReplyDelete