Saturday, June 16, 2012

Celestron ASGT CG-5 equatorial mount, got it working!

I had the good fortune of picking up a used Celestron CG-5 advanced/goto series mount from a fellow member of OKCAC. He said that everything worked, it just had a cosmetic issue, the declination motor housing was cracked and held together with tape. I pulled the trigger on it, as it was an amazing good deal at fraction of the price of new.

After unloading my truck, I setup the CG-5 mount in the living room. There were some other issues, but for the money it was a bargain. I was a little scared though, as I went to power up the mount, there was nothing. After doing some research online, it looked like the mount fell victim to the number one failure of these mounts: the power switch. I took out the power board and clipped a jumper to bypass the switch. It fired right up. I then soldered a permanent jumper bypass, so now I use the power switch on my power tank to turn the mount on and off. Couple of issues, I spent 72 bucks with celestron ordering parts. I ordered a new set of latitude adjustment screws, as the originals were missing. I ordered a new declination motor assembly housing and a new counterweight bar. After permanently soldering a jumper on the power board, I reassembled and fired it up. I did a test/fake alignment and it worked like a charm. Motors work smoothly on both axis and I test fitted my scope. I balanced the OTA per instructions and with the RA/DEC levers loose the scope moves freely and smoothly. I am very happy that I have this mount working like new. Here is a picture of the NS8SE scope on it's new home. Please excuse messy office.


2 comments:

  1. Wow, what a bargain! I recently picked up a used CG5 as well, and although it looks rough, the goto's are very accurate. Next is permanently setting up polar alignment, and testing tracking. Good luck on the mount.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am having the exact same problem with my power board on my CG5. Is there any chance you could show us a picture of how you soldered the jumper? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete