Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Meade ETX-80 is a go...

Well I decided to pull the trigger on this one. This will be the perfect grab-and-go scope. My normal setup is quite the behemoth to setup, this little guy can be setup much faster. It is an 80mm achromatic refractor, so there will be chromatic aberration and purple halos around bright stars. I don't care. My idea is to eventually get the "Audiostar" controller to replace the included autostar. That and the mallincam with a monitor and this would make the perfect sidewalk astronomy outreach instrument.

That, and I want to see what this little widefield achromat will do with the mallincam. I need a wider field for large objects such as m42, m45, m31, etc....Plus I want the challenge of imaging objects that many regard as totally impossible for such a meager scope. My inspiration? Cloudynights forum member Stew57's photostream showing what he has accomplished with his mallincam/etx80 setup that can be found here: http://s906.photobucket.com/albums/ac263/mstew57/Pictures%20taken%20with%20etx80%20and%20mount%20no%20processing/

Challenge accepted :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment