Friday, January 13, 2012

Tucsen Camera, unpacking and installation

Few thoughts after getting the driver installed. First off, I was starting to panic a little bit, as the ebay auction that I purchased this camera from said that it was win7 64 bit compatible. All documentation and drivers included with this camera indicated otherwise. At any rate, I attempted to install the camera on my win7 64bit system. It failed to install automatically, so I had to manually install from the CD subfolder. No biggie, it installed, whined about driver not meeting microsoft's standards, and eventually installed. Reboot and launch AMCAP and sure enough, the cam seems to be working as promised. A touch of impending flu like symptoms and having other kids over tonight has me waving off of doing any imaging, but if I feel better tomorrow I will give it a full go.

Another note about this imager...it is really intended for use with microscopes. That is how it is marketed and there are very very few folks out there using it for planetary imaging. If there are, they are not posting much. Doesn't help that every page dealing with this camera was in chinese. At any rate, I do not see why this camera won't work, it should do just fine and it should do circles around the imaging source cameras that were a hundred dollars more and much less resolution. Again, this camera is sporting a nice 1/2 inch CMOS imager, meaning I can push a lot further into the magnification via software than a standard 640x480. My effective resolution is somewhere around 2048x1536 at 30 frames per second. The image sensor is mature, and used in many other lines of cameras, included some older imaging source cams. Hoping to get a lot of bang for my buck. Everyone told me to spend more money on the lesser-spec'd imaging source DMK/DFK cameras, but as usual I think I know better. I really think I will be happy with this camera, though, and tomorrow or next week we will see how good the high resolution stacks up against the modest 215.00 price tag.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Andy,

    I came across your blog while looking up info on Tucsen cameras. I bought a cooled 1.4 MP monochrome for fluorescent imaging of brain tissue and cells in culture. The camera is doing pretty well, though the software is quirky. I wish I could get it to work with something like Axiovision, so far no luck.

    After looking through your blog I wonder if this is the best camera for your needs. I'm not imaging expert, I just know a little bit here and there, but have you considered upgrading to a cooled camera or a scientific CMOS? Just wondering your thoughts...

    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment. I was surprised at how decently the little tucsen did, but you are correct, it was never intended for astronomy so my success with it was hit and miss. I upgraded to a dedicated astronomy camera from Imaging source (DMK-21) and have really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for such a well written article. It’s full of insightful information and entertaining descriptions. Your point of view is the best among many. Complete Alarms

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have sell some products of different custom boxes.it is very useful and very low price please visits this site thanks and please share this post with your friends. spy cam

    ReplyDelete